Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Sea Of Appointments

I find myself enveloped in a sea of appointments, and oh Lordy am I ready to be done for a while! :o) We'll go in order of how yesterday unfolded. Let's begin, shall we?

Juliana: We had her post-op toe appointment yesterday morning directly after getting Jacob on the school bus. The doctor was very happy with one of her feet. The other foot had some enflamed toes that we just need to be good about keeping clean (which will be much easier now that she can take showers again!). And one toe didn't straighten out all the way. There are three tendons in each toe, the doctor generally has to cut only one tendon to fix the problem. However the problem with having to do the procedure on a person who is out is that he can't ask the patient to curl their toes, push against his hand, stand up, etc. So she needs one more tendon clipped. He said that if she's not complaining about it hurting, to go ahead and just wait it out for a few years when he can do the procedure when she's awake. In general though, they are looking so much better, and the one foot is just amazing!

Jacob: We had Jacob's next eye appointment yesterday afternoon (thank you, Mom, for watching our girls, I am SO grateful that I didn't have to entertain them for that super long appointment!). After wearing his eye patch for two hours of every day for the last two months, the Opthamologist has given the go-ahead to give him strabismus surgery. He is scheduled to be at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma on Tuesday, September 23rd at 7:00am. They say he should be up and around by about Thursday and will have flaming red eyes for a couple weeks. It's still unknown at this point if he will need to continue wearing glasses after the surgery.

I must admit, it's hard putting your child's SIGHT into someone else's hands! It's one thing for him to need to wear glasses, I'm fine with that (it'll be a bummer for him later, as all glasses-wearers know, it gets old fast), but having someone actually cut into my child's eyes is a bit harder for me to be at peace with. I realize it's a common surgery, Jacob's grandma had it done as well. Obviously that was a long time ago and medical procedures have come a long ways since then. It's just that "chance". Matt and I have been having enough of a hard time watching him struggle with his sight in general. Lately he's been saying things like - "Look Mom, there's two screens, one right there and another right there." (with his glasses on) And oh how that breaks my heart... He's such a bright young boy, we are amazed at the things he can do in the academic world, and are anxious to see where that takes him! But you can see how this type of problem could make schooling difficult, and you never know, he could change modes if he just gives up. So of course we want to get the procedure done. (and he would lose sight in general if we never got the procedure done) It's just difficult allowing someone to take a scalpel to your child's eyes! I want him to be able to experience life to the fullest, to see his future bride coming down the aisle, to see his children being born and the look on his wife's face in that instant, and in the meantime I want to watch him be enthralled with Mickey Mouse, or to examine those shiny green-backed bugs I mentioned recently, to be excited every time he sees a letter ANYWHERE, putting them together to make words we didn't even know he was capable of spelling out! Anywho, I know, sounds like I'm making a bigger deal than need be, I'm just being "real" and letting you all know what I could use prayer on, peace in this situation. We are anxious to get this surgery over with, and are SO happy that they were able to schedule it so quickly, AND that it's at such a great hospital!

I also ended the night on a great note! We went to the first Girlfriends Unlimited night of the 08/09 year at Faith Baptist. I was feeling so ready to start another year of that - some wonderful time with girlfriends - getting your giggle back! And that's just what we did! Then the Pumpkin Patch Crew went out to Applebee's afterwards and talked over appetizers until midnight - SO WONDERFUL! I am extremely thankful for our friendship, it is SO refreshing. I am excited to see where time takes us, what we will accomplish together, what crazy thing we'll talk about next, what we'll learn about each other next... ;-D Thank you, Girls!!!




Jacob waiting for what felt like FOREVER in the eye doctor's office.


Jacob and his most favorite "machine" in the whole world!

5 comments:

The Earnhardt Family said...

Denise, you made me almost cry talking about the things you want him to see. I want that for him too. I am praying for your peace and praising God for doctors who know how to do these crazy operations.

The Finnestad Family said...

I have to echo what Stephanie said. You know we will be fervently praying for every aspect of Jacob's surgery...and for YOU at the same time!

And Amen on a great night last night :) You already know that your Pumpkin Patch Crew will be right there every step of the way!

Anonymous said...

Neecy...You are definitely NOT crazy for thinking an saying all those things and for feeling so strongly about this! I have had the same thoughts and fears as you, and I just keep having to make myself remember Who is really in control. I was trying to think of a sweet thing to give him those first couple days, knowing he can't be looking at stuff, and all I could think of was maybe a soft lambie-pie, since he is our lambie pie...and that is what Marie would get him! So I am going to find just the perfect one, so he can be feeling it while he waits to be looking at his beloved letters again! Praying for him, and for you and Matt. You are a courageous family and I am so proud of you!
Love, Mom

The Wagner's said...

Definitely echo everyone else, and will be in fervent prayer for all of you! And what a totally fun night- hopefully your forehead isn't still sore from all that smiling- giggle!

The Williams Five said...

Just wanted you to know I was thinking about Jacob's surgery tomorrow. I'll be praying and will look for an update on how it went.