Saturday, May 2, 2009

40 in 4

I am proud to announce that I've lost 40 lbs in the first 4 months! My initial goal was to lose 40 lbs by my birthday (June 2nd). This puts me a full month ahead of my goal, which thrills me to no end! :-)

One thing that I have wanted is to take up is running. I know, crazy. I have NEVER been a runner! In middle school, we used to run around the school in P.E. and let it be known that I NEVER made it around the entire school, let alone two times! In high school, we ran the track of course, and I rarely made it around the track one time, let alone four! However, as you all know, I am married to a runner. Matt has completed one full marathon, five half-marathons, and various 10K's and 5K's. This last November he ran with a co-worker's wife, a very slender, very fit, gorgeous woman. Not that this was my motivation... ;-) BUT it does help fuel the flame. Could that be ME running along side him one day?!? No way could I do that, I can't even make it one time around the track!

After three months of exercising on our elliptical religiously, the weather started warming up which allowed me to hit the pavement. I walked the first few times, then thought "hey, might as well try to jog to the next mailbox." That grew, I noticed I could go further than I was giving myself credit for, and I am amazing myself! This morning I jogged 1.5 miles...straight...ME!!! Can you believe it?!? I started with a half mile walk and ended with a half mile walk, and I can't tell you how good I feel! The first time I ran a mile straight, I busted thru the door, gave Matt a high-five and was practically leaping out of my skin in sheer joy and giddyness of my accomplishment!

I don't know when I'll be ready for a half-marathon (notice I said "when", not "if!", but mark my words, one day I WILL run a half-marathon with Matt! And I am already proud of myself :-)

So here I am, at my half-way point. 40 down, 40 to go!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Way to go girl! I can't wait to follow in your foot steps! You are awesome and amazing!

Nold Family said...

Way to go Denise! You should be so proud of your accomplishments (which I have a feeling you are :-)
The weight loss is amazing! And I am so floored that you have tried running. You're dong better than me at 1.5 miles. You'll be meeting and beating your goals in no time. Congratulations! And keep up the awesome work.

The Finnestad Family said...

WOW! WOW! WOW!!!!!! I am SOOO proud of you and envious that you can run 1.5 miles. You are truly amazing Denise. Your motivation and perseverance is inspiring. WOW! That's all I can say. Way to go!